iPhone or bust!
Virgin Mobile is leveraging its entire business on the immense popularity of the iPhone, becoming the first U.S. carrier to sell the devices exclusively (sorry Android fans).
In even bigger news for consumers, the Sprint subsidiary is now offering a year of unlimited service for just $1 when you buy an iPhone from them as well as sign up for their Inner Circle unlimited plan. According to Virgin's website, that plan is now $50 a month with AutoPay, contrary to the pinned tweet from April on their Twitter feed.
To get the full year of service for $1, you’ll have to pull the trigger by July 31st, 2017; after that, you’ll only be entitled to 6 months. The offer doesn’t include taxes.
Virgin is simultaneously touting the many benefits offered to members of the “Inner Circle” (sounds so fancy). The foremost of these is a companion ticket to the UK on Virgin Atlantic, which can be had for “just taxes and fees.” Other benefits include discounts on Virgin wines and an extra night at a Virgin Hotel. Clearly they’re selling the high life.
Back to the phones--most are priced at standard retail, except for the iPhone 32G SE which is only $279, compared to $399 via Apple (the discontinued 6 goes for $319). Just think: you could get a new iPhone and a year of unlimited service on Virgin Mobile for a mere $280, before taxes. Pretty sweet!
Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint's network. To see how their reception is in your area, check out WhistleOut's coverage check feature, now built into our cell phone plan comparison tool.
About Virgin Mobile...
- Network Virgin Mobile operates off of the Sprint nationwide 3G/4G CDMA network in the 1900 MHz PCS band. This band frequency supports bands 25 and 41.
- Coverage: Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint's network, consistently ranked #4 in national network coverage tests.
- Where to Buy: Virgin does not maintain any dedicated retail locations, but you can purchase their plans and phones online or at retailers like Best Buy, Walmart, and Target.
- Bring Your Own Phone to Virgin Mobile: To bring your own device to Virgin, you'll need a Sprint-branded 4G/CDMA phone. Find out more about bringing your own phone
- Tethering: Monthly Mobile Hotspot Offer: $10/month for 10GB of data to help you stay connected on the go. Data allotment is a combination of 3G/4G data access and allows you to connect up to 8 Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
Fact: Virgin Mobile recently became an iPhone-only carrier.