When it comes to finding prepaid service on smaller—and less expensive—carriers, consumers now have more choices than ever. This puts a burden on these carriers to do things to set themselves apart.
Atlanta-based MVNO Tello has managed to carve out a nice little niche for itself in their one year of existence, offering low-cost, mix-and-match cell phone plans and excellent 24-hour customer service.
To celebrate their one-year milestone, Tello is sweetening the pot with promos for new and existing customers. These include:
- 90% off for the first month of any plan above $10 (new customers)
- 25% off for existing customers for any plan over $15 that is changed/renewed/purchased for the first time
The 90% off promo for newcomers starts May 4th and ends on May 10th; customers must use the code BDAY to score this deal. The 25% off deal for plans over $15 starts May 5th and ends May 8th; customers should use 1BDAY in this case.
Tello is also sending out a “100% free surprise” to customers who have been with the company for a full year to thank them for their loyalty. I tried to find out what this surprise is but they wouldn’t even reveal it to me, a humble journalist, who promised not to tell anyone. . . it’s that much of a secret.
Lastly, the company is staging a contest on their Facebook page between Tuesday, May 2nd and Thursday, May 4th for a free iPhone 7. This is exciting news if you tend to win things; me personally, I never win anything.
Tello runs on Sprint's spectrum, which the company claims offers “the fastest download speeds.” What we've found is that all four of the major networks (which also includes AT&T, Sprint and Verizon) offer pretty good coverage to most places; Sprint's is especially good in urban areas.
To find out what kind of coverage Sprint—and by extension, Tello—provides in your area, click over to our cell phone comparison tool and punch in your address. Our brand spanking new address lookup tool will do the rest.
In the meantime here are some 2GB plans to compare to Tello's:
- Network Tello uses Sprint's 4G LTE network. Sprint's LTE band frequency will support bands 25 and 41.
- Coverage: Tello runs on Sprint's network, which consistently ranks #4 in national network coverage tests.
- Where to Buy: Tello is an online-only carrier, and does not have any physical retail locations in the U.S. To pick up one of their great plans, click the button below.
- Bring Your Own Phone to Tello: If you have an unlocked Sprint device, you can enroll in one of Tello's bring-your-own-phone plans. All you need is a Sprint-ready device to get started. Check your phone's compatibility with Tello here.
- Tethering: Tello customers can use the tethering setting to share data free of charge with other devices.
Fact: Tello is run entirely in-house by a team of young creatives in Atlanta. The company is especially known for providing excellent customer service.